- Save up to 30%* Off everyday, online or in-store
- It's Free to Join, Save up to 30 %
- Exclusive 5-Star Advantage Plan
- Group Rewards
- Exclusive promotional emails & discounts
- Receive our monthly flyer
- Easily access your online order history
- Save multiple shipping addresses
- Request an invoice reprint for Warranty, Tax Filling or Insurance Claim purposes
Personal Information Protection Policy | KMS Tools & Equipment
At KMS Tools & Equipment Ltd. (KMS Tools), we are committed to providing our customers with exceptional service. As providing this service involves the collection, use and disclosure of some personal information about our customers protecting their personal information is one of our highest priorities.
While we have always respected our customers’ privacy and safeguarded their personal information, we have strengthened our commitment to protecting personal information as a result of British Columbia’s Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). PIPA, which came into effect on January 1, 2004, sets out the ground rules for how B.C. businesses and not-for-profit organizations may collect, use and disclose personal information.
We will inform our customers of why and how we collect, use and disclose their personal information, obtain their consent where required, and only handle their personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
This Personal Information Protection Policy, in compliance with PIPA, outlines the principles and practices we will follow in protecting customers’ personal information. Our privacy commitment includes ensuring the accuracy, confidentiality, and security of our customers’ personal information and allowing our customers to request access to, and correction of, their personal information.
Personal Information – means information about an identifiable individual
Business Contact information – means information that would enable an individual to be contacted at a place of business and includes name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business email or business fax number. Contact information is not covered by this policy or PIPA.
Policy 1 – Collecting Personal Information
Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and the customer voluntarily provides his or her personal information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which personal information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
We will only collect customer information that is necessary name, home address, home telephone number, email address; to fulfill some or all of the following purposes:
- To verify identity at Point of Sale;
- To process a flyer/and or email subscription;
- To verify creditworthiness;
- To identify customer preferences;
- To open and manage an account;
- To deliver requested products and services
- To send out association membership information;
- To ensure a high standard of service to our customers;
- To meet regulatory requirements;
Policy 2 – Consent
We will obtain customer consent to collect, use or disclose personal information (except where, as noted below, we are authorized to do so without consent).
Consent can be provided orally, in writing, electronically, through an authorized representative or it can be implied where the purpose for collecting using or disclosing the personal information would be considered obvious and the customer voluntarily provides personal information for that purpose.
Consent may also be implied where a customer is given notice and a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of his or her personal information being used for mail-outs or the marketing of new services and the customer does not opt-out.
Subject to certain exceptions (e.g., the personal information is necessary to provide the service or product, or the withdrawal of consent would frustrate the performance of a legal obligation), customers can withhold or withdraw their consent for KMS Tools to use their personal information in certain ways. A customer’s decision to withhold or withdraw their consent to certain uses of personal information may restrict our ability to provide a particular service or product. If so, we will explain the situation to assist the customer in making the decision.
We may collect, use or disclose personal information without the customer’s knowledge or consent in the following limited circumstances:
- When the collection, use or disclosure of personal information is permitted or required by law;
- When we require legal advice from a lawyer;
- For the purposes of collecting a debt;
- To protect ourselves from fraud;
- To investigate an anticipated breach of an agreement or a contravention of law
Policy 3 – Using and Disclosing Personal Information
- We will only use or disclose customer personal information where necessary to fulfill the purposes identified at the time of collection
- To conduct customer surveys in order to enhance the provision of our services;
- To distribute monthly Flyer and Email promotional material
- To contact our customers directly about products and services that may be of interest
- We will not use or disclose customer personal information for any additional purpose unless we obtain consent to do so.
- We will not sell customer lists or personal information to other parties [unless we have consent to do so].
Policy 4 – Retaining Personal Information
- If we use customer personal information to make a decision that directly affects the customer we will retain that personal information for at least one year so that the customer has a reasonable opportunity to request access to it.
- Subject to policy 4.1, we will retain customer personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purposes or a legal or business purpose.
Policy 5 – Ensuring Accuracy of Personal Information
- We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that customer personal information is accurate and complete where it may be used to make a decision about the customer or disclosed to another organization.
- Customers may request correction to their personal information in order to ensure its accuracy and completeness. A request to correct personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information and the correction being sought. A request to correct personal information should be forwarded to the KMS Coquitlam Branch Email [email protected] or fax 1-800-567-3799 toll free Phone: 1-800-567-8979 toll free
- If the personal information is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct the information as required and send the corrected information to any organization to which we disclosed the personal information in the previous year. If the correction is not made, we will note the customers’ request in the file.
Policy 6 – Securing Personal Information
- We are committed to ensuring the security of customer personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal or similar risks.
- The following security measures will be followed to ensure that customer personal information is appropriately protected:
- [The use of locked filing cabinets; physically securing offices where personal information is held; the use of user IDs, passwords, encryption, firewalls; restricting employee access to personal information as appropriate (i.e., only those that need to know will have access; contractually requiring any service providers to provide comparable security measures].
- We will use appropriate security measures when destroying customer’s personal information such as [Including: Verified Document Shredding Service and deleting electronically stored information].
- We will continually review and update our security policies and controls as technology changes to ensure ongoing personal information security.
Policy 7 – Providing Customers Access to Personal Information
- Customers have a right to access their personal information
- A request to access personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information being sought. A request to access personal information should be forwarded to: Email [email protected] or fax 1-800-567-3799 toll free Phone: 1-800-567-8979 toll free
- Upon request, we will also tell customers how we use their personal information and to whom it has been disclosed if applicable.
- We will make the requested information available within 30 business days, or provide written notice of an extension where additional time is required to fulfill the request.
- No fee will be charged
- If a request is refused in full or in part, we will notify the customer in writing, providing the reasons for refusal and the recourse available to the customer.
Policy 8 – Questions and Complaints
- Customers should direct any complaints, concerns or questions regarding KMS Tools & Equipment Ltd. compliance in writing. If we are unable to resolve the concern, the customer may also write to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia.
110 Woolridge Street
Coquitlam, BC V3K 5V4
E: [email protected]
*KMS Club Members Save up to 30% Off everyday. Online or in-store prices are pre-calculated with discounts and are shown online in red. In-store instant savings or prices are shown on each item label. No additional discounts required at checkout. Flyer or eFlyer savings may be greater!